Thursday, May 10, 2012

Genestealer Cult Vehicles: Hellhounds

Starting out the vehicles for the Genestealer Cult, here are two Hellhound tanks.
I quite like this kit- it's far better than the old Hellhound in my opinion.

Here's a hint though, when you assemble it, prime the fuel tanks black *before* you finish assembling it.
If you just build it all and then try to prime it you'd be very unhappy, I don't think it'd be easy at all to prime down into the recesses of this vehicle.

All the vehicles have these spots of Tyranid infestation.
I went with the darker purple color seen on the infantry cloth so there would be greater contrast with the infestations.

(click for larger)

I decided to leave Imperial markings on the vehicles, but downplay them by not painting them differently than the hull.  The reason for this is that I imagine that a lot of people are just not completely aware that they are undergoing a change, since part of what is changing is their mind.  So, unlike a chaos rebellion, a Genestealer Cult might change so gradually that they don't notice they are changing, so they aren't stripping away old insignia and icons, though in the process of new paint jobs, icons get painted over and not really noticed that they are doing it. A metaphor for what is happening to their society and genetic code. 

Yeah I know, I'm a bit of an anthropology geek... when I plan an army or paint minis I start thinking about their culture, beliefs, mythology, all that stuff of background of why they are the way they are.

I've always liked the idea of Hellhounds- if I ever do make myself a 40k army again (which I still find tempting though I haven't played the game in.. umm.. 7 years?) I'd like to make an Ork Looted Hellhound- 
I think Orks would appreciate this vehicle! 

More vehicles to come... stay tuned.

8 comments:

MrLee said...

Looking good man.. agreed on the subtle way that the markings are there, but at the same time not with the paint job..

Agreed that a Ork Looted Hellhound would be pretty cool to have.. though sadly its not able to be taken as a proper choice in the new codex.. I miss the old codex for that :(

Tony said...

I like the subtle cult infiltration rather than the total over-run of the vehicle.

Well done.

Tony

Paul O'G said...

Grand! Love the idea and thought behind them too - great theme

The Angry Lurker said...

Bloody excellent man, love them!

Michael Awdry said...

Outstanding work! You've done a tremendous job on these.

styx said...

Great work as usual, you should post up the army as a whole.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Can I have one of those in life size??

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Mr. Lee: I miss a lot of things in the old Ork codex. But orks are always fun.

Styx: I will soon. It won't be all of the army though- the client is extending it by another unit of troops or more, 2more chimeras, 2 manticores, a colossus and some fliers.

SL: Get in line! ;) Someone did make a working life size version of a 40k Rhino transport. There's some youtube videos of it..but sadly, no massive flamethrower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...