Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dem Bones Look Good: Reaper Does it Right?

Just ran across this breaking Bones news.  Get it? Sorry.

OK, before you yank me off the stage with the cane, watch this video below.

Reaper has just announced a new material for miniatures called 'Bones'.
Looks to be a hard, durable resin (?).  The detail looks nice and the price is looking even nicer.



Looks like one of the first to be made with the new material is my favorite Werewolf from Reaper or any other minis company.  So I'm sure I'll try it out.  Most interesting is the claim that conversions are easy by way of cutting and "snipping" (which can cause fracture with most resins) so I'm even more intrigued!

-Now, granted my typical use for this sculpt is as a Blood Bowl Werewolf, but his stride doesn't fit on a 25mm base, so I bend & re-angle the legs to get him on the base- can't do that with this, but if cutting is easy enough it could still be done.

Must be an interesting resin, if resin it is, since they say you can paint it fine right out of the package, no wash or primer... asking for disaster if you try that with most resin minis!

And the price?  About $2 US per standard mini.

Imagine quality casting, workable material and for less price not more.

Better stand up and take notice other manufacturers who say their new material is 'fine'.

If Bones is half of what it seems, fine isn't even close to good enough.

Check it out:




10 comments:

styx said...

I like what I saw, price is good and if the merits are as they claim they have a fantastic product! I may get one of those Werewolves for Strange Aeons...

Noticed the guy was bending one of the weapons with no snapping or damage as well, looks like some tough but workable resin.

Michael Awdry said...

Wow! Looks like a win, win product. Can't wait to see what you'll do with it!

Sebastian said...

Wow. Reminds me of trollforge's new material; similar properties etc.

This makes Finecast (cough) positively ludicrous. Hopefully this gives GW a swift kick up the rear to perfect their products too.

2012 and new materials.. looks like a renaissance for hobbyists :)

PsychosisPC said...

I do like Reaper. This is cool, I hope they give Tre Manor and Matt Gubser some more work, that I can collect.

Timmy Crabcakes said...

From what I've read on their site this is the same material as their prepaints... without the paint. So it's a rubbery plastic.
I don't want bendy miniatures, I don't want floppy weapons. So it's not for me.
Otherwise I like Reaper's products a lot.

Laughing Ferret said...

Ah, that is interesting- I didn't catch that it is bendable. Not great for most things then.

That said, there are times when you want a lot of minis or just a cheaper price and without the prepaint paint on them, the detail does look quite good.

Interestingly, once I did get some of the prepaint softer plastic of the werewolf model, unaware that it was that, but found that it cleaned up fine and painting it myself worked fine, no issues with it being a bit gummy or tacky after like some painting of prepaints can be, and afterwards I couldn't tell the difference.

So I guess it won't replace all other materials, but I can see it being useful still.

Psychosis: Both good, and I'd add Werner Klocke, my favorite of Reaper's contributors.

Unknown said...

The price is good. I don't know enough yet to have a valid opinion about quality though. I'll wait to see what you do with them.

Alfrik said...

The pose, on his leading leg, cut, pin and glue him leaning forward to pick up his rear leg and he "fits" the 25mm base.... heh

Laughing Ferret said...

Alfrik: turns out it's even easier than that- now that I realize this is bendable material, I used one of the painted versions of this werewolf once (repainted fine) and was easy to get the stance on the base: cut him from the integrated base, drill into each foot & pin to the base, bending each leg in a bit so it will fit, the pins keeping it in place: easy.

Lobo said...

WOW!!! Great Reaper, you're the best!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...