Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Brokentooth's Guide to Goblin Greatness: Being the biggest, baddest goblin you can be.

Brokentooth surveyed the young goblins before him.  Pathetic. One of two showed promise, but the bulk of them? rabble.  sigh.

Quiet down or I'll stuff you in the wolf pen and ring the dinner bell!  You're given me a headpounding. 

That shut them up.  Mostly.

Alright.  I probably won't live forever.  The shamans keep working on that, but I think it's more likely I'll die from their potions than live longer.  So someday someone has to take my place.  It might be one of you, however depressing the notion is. And if you don't want to be trampled by pinkones on horses or slaved up by orcs you'll listen close!  Now, I've told you about the powerful arms of a goblin army... the giant things and trolls, and you best remember that, but arms aren't much good without a back & head!  No indeed, arms all flopping around on the ground, spurting gouts of blood. Useless. The goblins in bulk are the back of an army and it's all lead by the head, and that's the leader. And if that leader aint a goblin then what's the point? So if you ever want to be leader, or you're pushed forward and have no choice, then it's up to you to be the biggest, baddest most clever goblin there is!  I can't help you much on being clever, and some of you there's just no help at all, but being big & mean you gots some control over. 

An army looks to it's leader, so if they can't see you, you're lost.  Armies want to see their leader is tough too, tougher than the enemy or they may run off, so the secret is find the biggest monster you can, and ride it to battle.  It's not much of a secret... you'll see some orcs and pinkboys doing this, maybe even an elf, but often as not these leaders stay in their tents lookin at their scraps, but that's not much reassurance fer goblins. 

Now, you've seen my Spitter...

Much snickering and cackles broke out among the goblin youth.

Ack! That's not what I meant and you knows it!  I mean my Wyvern!  Still.. that is a pretty good one...
Anyways, my Wyvern Spitter is a serious mean beast!  I stole the egg from an Orc camp and reared him from a pup.  Most big beasts like wyverns, dragons, birdcats can and will eat a goblin down in one gulp, but if you can avoids it, you're on your way to being a great leader! 

.....................................

I think Brokentooth deserves his own monster mount.  Kings of War doesn't allow for Goblin leaders to ride big flying monsters, it has that in common with Warhammer.  However, the combo of the ally system & liberal use of 'counts as' offer a lot of possibilities to bring this otherwise never seen possibility to the battlefield.

You could take units of allied orcs or humans, finding a goblin-looking version for them, and then bring in a character on a flying beast: easy as pie!  There is also a goblin leader on a mechanical giant, so if you don't mind your flying beast 'chicken flail flying' then that's an option too.

I have admired this very old Citadel Miniatures Orc War Wyvern since I started playing miniatures games.  My friend Bill who got me into this hobby had one,  just damn beautiful, and I loved it.  This is a great sculpt, so much character, and it's 'cute' for a monster too.  I think it is easily the best Wyvern GW ever made, maybe the best flying monster in general as well.

I found one on Ebay many years ago, and decided it's finally time to paint it.

I converted it some of course, to give it a functional-looking saddle, and a goblin general, and it needed a functioning-looking reins too.  It overhangs a base quite a lot, so I also gave it a tall rocky outcrop for the base.

Here he is:








He will be painted by the end of the month.  That's the plan anyway.

More mayhem to follow...


9 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

He's a thing of beauty!

Unknown said...

Man, I absolutely love him!

Finch said...

Looking pretty sharp. Great work on the base.

Paul O'G said...

"I think it is easily the best Wyvern GW ever made"

I heartily concur!

Mr Pan said...

Impressive ! I need it !

Simon Quinton said...

Nice conversion LF. Looking forward to seeing them both with paint on.

Michael Awdry said...

I like! Can't wait to see more.

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks everyone :) Hopefully you'll see it painted by the end of the month. Bit nervous about that.. it's a rare and very long OOP miniature, plus on the short list of my favorite miniatures GW has ever made, so it's daunting ;)

Thantsants said...

Love the base and the details of the saddle and reins - looking forward to seeing what you make of him. One of my favourites too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...