Thursday, November 7, 2013

Legionaries of the Suzerainty of Phorus

Seems like a long time since my last update.  I've been trying to navigate through a bureaucratic beseigement by Vogons in real life.  But I did find a bit of time to paint some more pleasant aliens, and having emerged through the maze I'll present them to you now.

In the last update I introduced the Suzerainty of Phorus, one of the powers in the Planets in Peril setting.
I now have 15 Phori painted.  These were a lot of fun to paint.

Officers.

In the Suzerainty, tradition and rituals of culture run deep.  
Officers carry ancient forms of ceremonial weapons of office, as well as pistols.



A small group leader gives orders.


They do this a lot.


The group:

(click for larger)

I debated on the color for the rifles, in the end I decided a simple heavy old bronze would carry the feeling of "Serious & unfriendly" for a space opera style setting, without being "evil empire".

A legionary of Phorus faces a Psylon:


I'm sure there is more to come from the Planets in Peril...

12 comments:

commissarmoody said...

Pretty cool! Looking forward to more info. And info on the Psylons.

The Angry Lurker said...

Pink flamingos on steroids, very nice!

Simon Quinton said...

They look awesmoe. I love this force. Will you have vehicles?

Turms said...

They look great!

But there is something about them that makes me think again... And then it hit me: RuneQuest and the damn ducks. And know I can't forget it.

Unknown said...

Very nice. Love that pink color for the flesh, reminds me of my pigeon's feet.

Grigork said...

Great colours. I think you've got the neutral look OK, although they seem more like baddies to me.

Dan Vincent said...

Wow. They really standout and are some of the weirdest/quirkiest models I have seen.

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks all :) very happy for the feedback.

C.Moody: Good idea, I'll post up some background for the Psylons this weekend

Fran: Haha, I thought the looked like axebeaks, but I can see the flamingo too

Simon: My goal is to have at least a half dozen small skirmish forces, so vehicles aren't in the works for now, but I know how projects tend to grow, so who knows. I will have the bombshell scout ship, but thinking that's likely more for scenarios. I have a lot of All Quiet on the Martian Front coming, and have a lot of 15mm scifi, so I think those two projects will be better suited to satisfy my itch for bigger forces and vehicles.

Turms: not familiar with the ducks,but sounding like that's a good thing ;)

Thanks Brian! fun to have some bright color

Grigork: oh they're definitely baddies. They are under the sway of the Jovian Overlords, so they're on the evil side, but I wanted them to feel more like 'prussian' level bad, not 'darth vader' level bad, if that makes sense. The Jovians are the true 'force of evil' these are just their tools, caught up in their own honor & traditions.

Laughing Ferret said...

Danisonatree: Thanks, I thought so too.. such fun quirky sculpts I couldn't resist them.

Michael Awdry said...

These are just priceless, love what you have done with them especially the necks!

fireymonkeyboy said...

I'm getting a bit of a "Startide Rising / The Uplift War" vibe off of these.

FMB

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks Michael :)

FMB: Nice spot! The fact they are birds is what brought me to think of a 'Suzerainty' for their self-conception of government, since the Uplift books' bird race used that too, and it has the appropriate stuffy 'byzantine/ottoman' feel I wanted for their culture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...