Friday, November 1, 2013

Pulp Sci-Fi Robot Centurions : Painted Hydra Miniatures Robots

If you've visited here more than a few times you have probably realized that I have some pretty eclectic tastes in miniatures projects.  Sure, there is a lot of Blood Bowl.. I want to get my 24 teams and I am always tempted by a new theme team in Blood Bowl, but I also get tempted by a lot of small projects and often the odd theme or less common game speaks to me the loudest.  Earlier in the year I was doing a lot for my Prehistoric Pulp project, and I will be returning to it.  I've also wanted to get several very small skirmish teams for Pulp Sci-Fi, which my Crew of the Starship Drowsy Wombat can be split into a couple of.

I've had what might be a breakthrough in the idea for the rules for the pulp skirmish games.  The Prehistory & Sci-fi could both work with the same rule set. I'll have to play test it, but if it works and is fun, then it could be a fun system that would allow for about anything to play against anything.  So maybe in the not too-distant future I'll get a chance to test the rules out and can report on that.

In the meantime, here is a team of The Robot Legion. I'm toying with calling them Psylon Centurions.


In the game I'm planning, 4 robots of this size & durability is plenty for a team.


I love the 1950's retro future feel of these miniatures.  They are from Hydra Miniatures.


They are quite tall.  Here is the Robot leader next to my Captain Vok, from Reaper Miniatures.
Granted, the Reaper alien is a bit short compared to a typical human, but you can see the size difference.

I didn't realize how large their minis were until they arrived. More like 32mm than 28mm.  But that makes the robots even more imposing and alien. And when I paint the Valkeeri their larger size will be perfect for the 'Amazons of Venus' style warriors.

And just for fun, here was the inspiration for the robots' color scheme:

Always loved these.

13 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

Brilliant!! You´ve got the duck egg blue off to a T.

Paul´s Bods said...

Sorry...it ain´t Duck egg blue...duck egg blue is with the code BS16C33 a bit lighter than the car#s blue
http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25006

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks Paul. I don't know the names of the colors used, I just think of these creamy blues, greens & blue-greens as '50's future car & refrigerator colors' ;) but I love them.

Diplomatist said...

I love that retro look - I have some of the Hydra robots myself. Very nice, but yes, quite tall.

The colour-scheme is ace!

Paul´s Bods said...

I love em as well. I´d really like a lambretta in that blue...well I´d really like a 60´s lambretta full stop. My old one (a `1967 SX, I crashed and years ago..a total write off but I was lucky) I actually remember fridges like that, big solid things with Chrome trim. Great stuff.

Paul O'G said...

I have a bunch of these figs too and went for a classic metallic pulp/steampunk look - never even occurred to me to try something like this. They look fantastic!

Michael Awdry said...

Oh I like, I like a lot!

Simon Quinton said...

I must admit from the pics i've seen Hydra make some lovely figures that fit this genre perfectly. Love what you've done with these the colour scheme is perfect you need to find them some transport a bit like that car.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Love the alien sidekick.

FMB

DeanM said...

Awesome work! I get the color inspiration thing too. Did the same thing for a Space Marines chapter :)! Best, Dean

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Glad you're liking the retro feel of these robots :)

oh yes, a flying car would be fun for them!

J Womack, Esq. said...

Very nice work sir.

I have quite a few Hydra miniatures, though not those specific models. I like 'em. Have you seen the hoverbots? I painted mine up for my VSF gaming, so they don't look as retro-pretty as yours. Mostly a lot of brass. My mad scientist character uses a lot of his own special alloy of brass, which he calls Brass Sheet (BS, for short).

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks J! I have seen the hoverbots, though I don't own any of them. I had intended to paint these in my standard heavy iron & bronze combo that I like, but then I started thinking about the colors from the 50's tech and went that way with them instead. These are great robots, could take them in so many directions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...