Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thankful for the Very Big Bird

Gandalf was very thankful for a very big bird, but not a turkey, the great eagle Gwaihir... although I wouldn't put it past Bombur to try to eat him, and luckily I don't think The Shire celebrated Thanksgiving.

I saved my favorite of the recent Mithril Miniatures, Lord of the Rings large minis & scenes for last:

Gandalf & Gwaihir:






I really enjoyed painting this one. 
Mithril has such graceful lines to their sculpts, and this one is just beautiful.



7 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

That is one gorgeous bird, but I wouldn't want to be the one that tried to stuff it!

Nord said...

Nice work. I enjoy seeing the older metal sculpts of the Tolkien universe, a good contrast to the modern minis.

Phil said...

Very nice work! Love the colors...

Simon Quinton said...

Superb job love Gwahir especially his feathers!

Sam Wise said...

I've missed this one !
Beautiful ! your painting work on Gwaihir is awesome : I love the colours!
Can you give the reference of this one ? It's a 30mm scale or a bigger one ?

Sean said...

That is a great sculpt. Nicely painted.

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks everyone :)

This was my favorite from this Tolkien project, and my favorite to paint too.

Sam: it seems i rarely leave colors alone, tending to blend from several, but I started with a light color, Reaper Master Series Sandy Brown & the triad around it, going darker mixing in P3 Bloodstone and Valeijo Burnt Umber

Old Fogey: Thanks, me too. I do like a lot of the GW Tolkien minis, but I'm also a fan of the Mithril. I love their Gandalf, their elves & orcs especially.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...