Thursday, August 15, 2013

U.N.I.T. Troopers: Doctor Who Project Continued

Next up for the Doctor Who Project: U.N.I.T. Troopers.
In their more modern look of black with red beret.


They'll be transferred to clear plastic disk bases at the end of the project.

I really enjoyed painting these because they're Copplestone Castings minis, which are always a joy to paint.
The minis were selected by the client, and I think he made a great choice: these minis make very good UNIT troops.  Always nice to have a chance to paint Copplestone minis.

In Doctor Who, U.N.I.T. is a modern united nations special forces that have the daunting task of keeping the planet safe from alien invasions and such when the Doctor can't be there.


I always wondered about the red berets.  I know it's historical, going back to WWII British Paratroopers.. maybe earlier? But it does seem to be begging to receive a head-shot.  I think I'd forget mine at home.
Still, it looks cool.

Speaking of Doctor Who... if you see this on the day I publish it, August 16th, 2013, check out Shirt Woot.
There is a pretty fun Doctor Who related shirt.  Their shirts are always cheaper on the first day they put them up (one a day) and costs a bit more after that first 24 hours.. though if they don't sell well enough that first day they're not offered after it. The shirt image:

Can see it here: Don't Blink

Back to U.N.I.T. ...

Here's an amusing recruitment video for U.N.I.T., from 1993 (so none of the more modern stuff).. some of the effects and creatures are pretty funny.  I love the fear of the stegosaurus that  slowly rounds the corner...

Like being afraid of a cow.  Granted, a cow with foot long spikes on it's tail.. but stay calm & away and you should be fine. Not like it's going to come running to eat you.  ;)

Enjoy!

12 comments:

pulpcitizen said...

Very nice work. Kudos. :)

Simon Quinton said...

Very nice LF Copplestone means certainly are a good choice they are one of my favourites for painting

Endtransmission said...

Oh great work on those UNIT troops. I really need to pay better attention to the Copplestone range

Clint said...

U.N.I.T troops look very good. I agree Copplestone make some cracking sculpts and are a joy to paint.

Michael Awdry said...

Oh I love these, very nice indeed; cracking video too!

Diplomatist said...

The Wife and I really enjoyed that video - thanks.

Nice to see the Brigadier in action again!

styx said...

Nice! Now I have that song "Doctoring the Tardis" by the Timelords stuck in my head!

Tony said...

Great looking minis. - But I still prefer the tan beret generation.

Tony

Sean said...

The unit looks good and I like hoe the contrast of the red beret against the black uniform draws you in to their faces, where you have a lot of detail.

Mich said...

Your troopers look great!

...I just spent nearly a full ten minutes playing with your pet ferret on the sidebar...

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

Paul: Copplestone have a lot of great stuff. I have some of the wralord-era chinese for a pulp skirmish I still need to paint, their cavemen are my favorite cavemen available, and I'm very tempted by their 15mm fantasy range

Styx: i'm not familiar with it, I'll have to track it down

Tony: If people start shooting at their heads they may wish for tan too ;)

Thanks Sean!

Mitch: Thanks! That Ferret doesn't get out of her box often enough, so she needs to be entertained. I can get distracted playing with that too

Don Hans said...

Big fan of Dr Who so great to see a unit of UNITs...
I just got hold of some old FASA Dr Who (quite cheap as well) and hope to paint them soon /Hans

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...